Kyle's top 10 games of 2010!

Posted by  | Thursday, January 20, 2011  at 2:17 AM  
2010 has come and gone, and many video games were released. Some were disappointing, and others were good. But what were my favorite games of 2010? Well, that's a really hard question since I really was not able to finish many games throughout the year... and I bought too many to remember. I found myself enjoying games that are only about five hours in length when I typically enjoy much longer games. It has definitely been a weird year for me, gaming-wise. So let's get to my top 10!



These are in no particular order
(Real brave choice there, Sophie -ed.)



Bayonetta

Bayonetta was a game that I did not know much about, nor knew about it until a month before its release. However, I ended up downloading the demo and played it at least 4 or 5 times (which is rare for me) because it was too much fun. Soon after it was released in January I bought it, played it, loved it. There was never a dull moment in the game- it was all eye candy and pure fun. The story was not all that great, but everything else made up for it. Its definitely one of those gems of the year.

Pokemans Soul Silver/ Heart Gold

Pokemon will always have a special place in my heart, being an awesome in depth RPG as well as a childhood memory. This was an instant buy for since it was a re-release of my favorite pokemon game. There isn't too much to say about it, since its a pokemon game and they have not changed a ton since it was released over a decade a go. Needless to say, I enjoyed the hell out of it!

Dragon Quest 9

This game is probably one of my favorite DS games. It has everything a traditional RPG should have, plus more. The multi-player was done very well. But... well... the story was quite repetitive and not very involving. However, the reason behind this is that the multi-player was the focus of the game. It's a game that would be somewhat boring to play alone. This is a must have for any DS owner. (Dude, as a Lone Wolf cool dude, I can say that the game is fun to play alone. -ed.)

Vanquish

This is a ridiculous over the top 3rd person cover shooter that every one should experience. It's difficult at times, but its amazingly fun and just plain beautiful. Platinum games, who made Bayonetta, has not disappointed me with their games AT ALL. I cannot wait to see what they come out with next!




Team Fortress 2


Even though this game was released three years ago, its a game worth mentioning due to how drastically changed over this allotted time. TF2 is continually fresh every few months due to large updates which add many new items and features. Even though I just started playing it more recently, due to my differences with it when it was first released, I have finally found tons of enjoyment out of this game. My brother, Kurtis aka Spookyboots, has a large article discussing the changes within the game as well.


Castlevania: Lords of Shadow


Castlevania is a game that has exceeded my expectations and has held my attention since Christmas. It's a lengthy, fun, challenging endeavor that I have enjoyed every moment of. This game may just borrow elements from many successful games that have come out in the past 5 years, making it somewhat uncreative, but it successfully unified these elements to make a truly satisfying experience.



 
Yakuza 3


Even though i rushed through this game to finish it, thus not fully enjoying the game, it is definitely one of the better games of 2010. It has awesome over-the-top and fun battle mechanics, a good story dealing with tons of politics, and characters that are hard not to love. I just have to wonder why this series is not more popular.




Persona 3 Portable


A portable version of one my all time favorite RPGs? Oh yea! It may not be as good as FES, but everything is in tact to still make a superb and different experience. If you haven't played any of the Persona games yet... well... I suggest you do! A game that has perfectly blended two completely different genres successfully without making it awkward. One of the better PSP titles.





Valkyria Chronicles 2


The awesome turn based strategy RPG series is back! I have only briefly played this iteration but it is an excellent game. There are more classes and other welcomed changes that make this game the same and enjoyable experience, just like the first one!

Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker


I may have only played this game for about 5 hours (minuscule compared to Hayden) but it is an awesome game. The cut scenes are well done, and look really nice and stylized. I love the Monster Hunter missions and references within the game, and there is tons of content. I mean, if Hayden played this game for nearly 400 hours, there has to be tons of content right?






Other notable games:
Resonance of Fate
3-d Dot game Heroes
Monster Hunter Tri


Biggest disappointments of the year:

Final Fantasy XIII

With the 25 hours of linearity and holding the players hand throughout the damn game, it makes for a less-than enjoyable experience. However the game is very sharp looking, and once you reach post game its actually fun. The problem is getting yourself to play it and get to that point.

White Knight Chronicles

Level 5 is one of my favorite RPG developers and they didn't make a disappointing game til' this one. the combat is boring and slow, the story is not all that great, and the character you create in the beginning is just a spectator throughout the entire game. I imagine the multi-player is fun, but I haven't touched the game since I bought it really.


This last year was full of investing my hard earned cash in video games, well what else would I spend my money on anyways? I may have purchased a few disappointing games, but this coming year has some excellent and highly anticipated titles I am looking forward to! (Brink, Killzone 3, Little big planet 2)

Sources:
Wikipedia
Gamestop 

No comments:

Post a Comment