Frustration...

Posted by  | Friday, January 21, 2011  at 2:43 PM  
So I worked on my evolution of gaming article for about and hour and a half last night and when I got on the computer this afternoon everything I had done last night was gone...which is rather shitty considering how today has been going. So since I'm rather angry about that at the moment I figured I would post something that would fit the new year theme.


GAMING HOPES FOR 2011!

Truthfully, out of everyone that writes here at Not Another Castle, I'm pretty much out of the loop when it comes to modern gaming. There's a couple companies I follow and a couple games that I'm looking forward to so I know about those. So maybe some of my hopes are already on the drawing board or are being released.

1. A story driven RPG like Dragon Age Origins with multiplayer. I miss playing games like Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights with people. Sure I could always go back and play those games again, but not everyone is interested in that, so a new game in the genre should be released so it'll be easier to find friends to play with.

2. I hope Brink is as amazing as it looks and doesn't get pushed back again. If it wasn't obvious team based first person shooters is on of my favorite genres and at the moment we're lacking in good solid games in the genre. Brink looks like it'll fill that void, it's also being produced by Splash Damage which did Wolfenstein: enemy territory. In my opinion Wolfenstein: ET was one of the best objective/class based first person shooters to come out, albeit a bit broken and with terrible balancing issues. Lets hope Brink is as good as ET with better balancing.

3. Star Trek Online goes free to play. Ask anyone I know and they'll tell you I like to bash Star Trek, I grew up a Star Wars kid. But STO is a great MMO and I'm pretty picky with what MMOs I stay with. While I haven't played STO for months upon months or years like some people have with their MMO of choice I would like to stick with STO for that long. But subscription fees can go punch their own ding dong. With Champions Online going free to play, which is also put out by Cryptic, in four days it would be nice to see it succeed like Dungeons and Dragons Online and Lord of the rings online so STO will go free to play.

4. Robin from Valve gets to implement Team Fortress 2 updates like he wants to. Now that Valve is adding community created items and content, Robin had mentioned how he would like to do a small update at least once a week adding new items and maps. He says they're not currently at the point to be able to do that, but I hope sometime in 2011 they will be at that point.

5. Large updates continue for Team Fortress 2. Aside from seeing regular small updates I would love to see large updates to continue. There's no sign that they're going to stop, especially with them adding a new game mode last month that needs to be fleshed out. But if small updates begin I don't want them to replace the usual large updates that get released every other month or so.

6. All Point Bulletin is better than it was at release. Maybe you know about this game, maybe you don't. Apparently not many people knew about it and the game sold way under worse case scenario for the company. It was a "living world" MMO. Many people described it as Grand Theft Auto online which is what it looked like at it's base but once you started playing it was more like a squad based shooter. I had fun while I played it especially with the customizing. Well the company and game died about two months after official launch, it was sad but not that surprising. After the demise GamersFirst bought the rights to the game to release this year as a free to play game. Lets see if they can improve on the game and market it better.

7. Last but not least Final Fantasy XIV gets a Star Wars Galaxies style overhaul and becomes a better game without pissing off most of their gaming community like ST:G did. Final Fantasy XIV was the biggest let down of last year. At first I was in denial and then as it became closer to release I accepted it. It was bad...I can't even put my finger on what the issues were now. I've pushed them to the back of my mind. I do know subscriptions have been slowly dwindling unless it's changed in the last couple of months. Lets hope it can bounce back and be as good as it was hyped to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment